Tuesday 15 June 2021

The Peacock 192

We all seem quietly relieved at the  departure of Carol.  It is as though a dark cloud has gone way with her.  It is like someone has just flung wide open all the windows and doors to let in the fragrant spring air and the cool soothing breeze.  Jesús appears to have already fallen into a deep slumber.  And now I am yawning, and so is Carl, and Melissa, and Aaron.  We are about to engage in a communal nap?  Well, why not? The cat also sleeps now, next to Carol's now empty space.  Maybe that is how we really should be spending our time here.  Taking naps.  We are all tired, so very tired.  Life has really taken the piss out of all of us here.

Melissa alone appears alert, like a wildcat that has just heard the snapping of a twig.  She is not wearing her ballcap and her hair is gathered up in a hastily fastened knot.  I am still waiting to hear her story.  She is the silent partner.  I could almost ask her now, but no, I'm too tired, and feel just so deliciously lazy, and really I just want to lean back in this lovely big chair and enter oblivion.  Carl appears to be snoozing, his handsome head tilted to the left.  I could almost descend myself into those chambers of repose, but I feel also alert, as though it would be dangerous closing my eyes, dangerous for even a few seconds...

No comments:

Post a Comment