Friday 4 June 2021

The Peacock 181

 "All my family is in Colombia.  My mom and dad are divorced with different partners and they live in different cities.  My dad is  in Bogotá and my mom lives with her husband in Santa Marta on the coast.  I have two brothers and one sister.  I am the youngest.  They all live in Bogotá."

"Do you miss them?" Carl asks.

"Very much", says Jesús, his eyes softening.  "I miss them all greatly.  Especially my mom.  We talk a lot on Skype, but I haven't been there since I left five years ago."

"Do you plan to go back?" I ask, still wanting to put my finger on his tattoo.

"I can't", he pauses, "It isn't safe."

"What happened", Aaron asks.

Jesús puts his fork down at the side of his plate, as though he has lost his appetite.  "First my best friend.  Then his girlfriend.  Then they told me it would be me next.  They tell me they are still after me."

"Who are they?" Carl asks.

"I don't really know.  My friend, then his girlfriend, they both disappeared.  I was already about to fly to Canada, when my turn was coming..."


No comments:

Post a Comment