Tuesday 29 June 2021

The peacock 206

 "I suppose that it's time to let you all in on my secret.  But first of all, everyone, isn't it amazing, the parallels between these two women, my sister and Carol I mean.  Quite incredible, if you ask me." He clears his throat, then takes a deep draft of his coffee as though to sooth an owie.  

"I was staying here alone at first.  It was from here I was launching my new magazine, and I thought the peace and quiet, the lack of distractions would be the perfect setting for me.  Well, I got more than I bargained for.  I really had a lot, way too much time to think, here alone.  Father Griffin would come up for a day, and a night, every week or two, and his company was wonderful, but it was never really enough.  and I could distract myself only so much watching TV, listening to music, watching stuff on YouTube, and talking to Mom and Mel on Skype.  But I was really needing human contact.  Plus I was really dwelling a lot on my past, which I mean to say would refer to when I was selling sex and taking drugs as a teenager."

Carl pauses and appears to be staring at one of the windows.  The sun is beginning to set and the splashes of golden coppery light in the room have taken on something otherworldly and magical.  

"Robert and I talked about it, and he invited me on a retreat with him at the Abbey.  So, we went for a weekend.  That was when somethi8ng really extraordinary happened..."  


No comments:

Post a Comment