Monday 4 October 2021

The Peacock 301

 In the car today we are five.  Sarah has joined us and is seated on the passenger side in the back seat, then Jesús, then I, staring directly at the back of Carl's head.  Aaron, as befits his status as elder, again occupies the front, and he is chatting amiably with Carl.  The conversations have been very mundane, superficial and rather cheerful.  No one seems to want to allude to any of the drama that has already happened today.  Today, it's back to the diner, but this time for burgers and beer.

As we were driving away from the house, Sarah was regaling us with tales  of what would  have been her two years spent travelling in Asia, Australia and New Zealand.  She loves the Japanese and the Vietnamese, but doesn't care much for Australians and even less for the men who live there.  But she still stayed there for more than a year, mostly in Melbourne where she worked in a backpackers hostel.  Still, all the drama today has sapped our collective energy, and really, all we want to do is escape into food. Burgers and beer, what could be more basic, or consoling, and even Aaron who is vegetarian is happy because they serve in that diner an awesome veggie burger, and I happen to know this because that is what I ate there while waiting for my ride from Melissa just three days ago.

Three days.  I can't believe it's been only three days.  How much can happen in less than seventy-two hours, anyway. Right now I am thinking of Kenny.  What would he do if he was alive and here right now.  And yet, he often does feel very alive to me.  I am also starting to wonder if he really did take his life.  I am hoping that tonight, Carl and I will have time to explore a little more of his journal....

No comments:

Post a Comment