Tuesday 12 October 2021

The Peacock 308

 "Your turn, Jesús", says Carl.

"Fifth November, 1986." Sarah scrolls on her phone.  "Honey Badger", she says.

"What the hell is that?" says Carl, who appears to be already feeling his beer.

"You're cut off", I say, pulling his glass away.

"I'm not finished yet".

Aaron says, "Dude, if you are driving us back from here, then you are finished."  He signals to the waiter, a different man today, younger, maybe the son of the proprietor..  "We've all had enough beer, he says to him, could you take it away please?  His glass too."

Carl tries to grab for his glass .  Sarah intercepts.  

"Hey", he says, "You're worse than my sister."

"You should be so proud", she says smiling demurely.

"Carl", says Aaron, "You are already on your fifth glass, and I think you have already crossed the legally impaired mark.  So, if no one minds, I am going to recommend that we stick around here an extra hour or so for you to sober up."

"What a bunch of spoilsports!"  He is becoming aggressive.

"I could drive", says I.

"You'll do no such thing", Carl says, boisterously,.  "You are a guest."

"And you, Carl", say I, "are already half-pissed.  Aaron is right.  We'll hang out an extra hour, then we should get back all in one piece.  Agreed?"

Sullen, Carl has already descended into a half drunken sulk.

"Agreed?" says Aaron.

"Yeah, your wish is my command."

"So", says Sarah, "What is a honey badger?"

"Ask Uncle Google" says Aaron.

"That I will."



No comments:

Post a Comment