Thursday 7 October 2021

The Peacock 304

 "So", she says, swiping and texting on her phone.

"A needle pulling thread", quips Carl.

"Carol's line", I say.  "We have to get her on one of these lunches."

"Nope", says Carl, "Can't fit her in the trunk".  And now Jesús is laughing.

"That's mean", Sarah says, without expression.

"Accurate", I would say", says Carl.  .I'm not calling her fat by the way, just..."

"Rubenesque", I mention.

"Looks good on her", Sarah says, her eyes lighting up just  a little bit wickedly.

"I'm sure you would know," says Carl, like the boy always caught with his hand in the cookie jar, and simply relishing getting caught in the act.

"And we are not dignifying that with a reply", Sarah says, now stifling a giggle.  "Okay, here it is", she says, looking still at her phone.  "Tuesday, August 9, 1983 also happens to be...the day of my birth."

"It is also  the date of the nuclear bombing of Nagasaki", says Aaron.

"Oh my god!" says Sarah.  I never knew that!"

"So that makes you"sats Aaron to Sarah", A Leo Pig."

"I beg your pardon?"

"Your Western sign is Leo.  Chinese sign is year of the pig."

"Who knew?" says Carl.

"So, what is that supposed to mean?"says Sarah, still ignoring the food growing cold on her plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment