Thursday 28 October 2021

The Peacock 324

 "So, you run this place with your dad?", Sarah asks.

"With my dad and my uncle.

"Your uncle is here too?"

"He served you guys yesterday."

"You were here?" say I.

"I saw you from the kitchen.  I was cooking yesterday.  Today my uncle and I trade places."

"And he's from Venezuela?"

"My mother was still a baby in Hong Kong when my grandparents emigrated to Venezuela.  For reasons she still will not disclose, she stayed in Hong Kong in the care of her grandparents.  For some reason, they would not allow her to go with them.   I think her health was really fragile or something."

So, is your dad here sometimes", Carl asks.

"Nah, he just stays home and rakes in the dough.  We're the exploited labour", Tommy says laughing.

"Do you do anything else, besides work here?" asks Carl

"Yeah.  I'm also a relationship counselor.  Hey, let  me introduce you guys to my uncle.  He turns and calls in the direction of the kitchen  "tío.  He aquí un colombiano y un gringo que habla buen español"

Jesús translates, "Uncle, I have here a Colombian and a Gringo who speaks good Spanish."

No comments:

Post a Comment