Tuesday 26 October 2021

The Peacock 322

 "This is a nice little diner", Aaron says. "How long have you been here?"

"Sixty years", says Tommy.  "Or say, about three generations.  My grandfather opened this place back in the early sixties.

"Did he come here from Hong Kong?" Sarah asks.

"I am fifth generation Canadian.  How about you guys?"

"I am from Colombia" says Jesús.

"I am from the Netherlands", says Carl.

"I am fourth generation Canadian on my mother's side", says Aaron, "And third generation on my father's side.  German and Scots ancestry."

"My mom was Mexican, she's gone now", say I, "And my dad is fourth generation Canadian, British, mostly English roots."

Sarah says, "My dad was born in Great Britain, Birmingham area, but his parents were refugees from Poland.  He met and married my mom in Winnipeg, who is Metis."

"French and native", says Tommy.

"How about your mom", asks Sarah.

Dad met her in Hong Kong forty years ago, and she came back here with him.  In fact, she is still, to this day, appalled that I don't speak one single word of Cantonese.  

"You speak only English", says Jesús.

"And Spanish..."


No comments:

Post a Comment