Wednesday 2 March 2022

The Peacock 443

.   "Carol", says Francois, suddenly toying with his fork with the leftover pannekoek on his plate, "Could you explain to me something, please"

"Why, of course, my dear."  As if we didn't already have enough for breakfast, Carl, has brought out two big chunks of cheese, an aged cheddar and smoked Gouda, and Carol is already whipping off a slice of the cheddar.  She  has just stuffed it into her mouth.

"Do you think of yourself as European?"

"What an absurd question", she says.  "Of course not.  I am British.  English, to be precise.

"Bullshit", says Carl, laughing, "Pure and unaltered John Tory Bullshit, Carol, you are every bit as European as Mel and I."

"I do beg to differ, young man."

"I had the same argument with a young Japanese guy back in seminary", says George.  "I referred to him as being Asian, like me, and he just wouldn't accept it."

"And where would you be from", Carol says

"I'm Canadian.  I was born in Vancouver."

"But your parents?"

"They're from the Philippines."

"Then that would make you Filipino", she says.

"Sorry, kiddo, I'm Canadian, every bit as Canadian as Aaron, as Sarah, as Jennifer, as Maureen and as my dear husband, Jeff.  And Father Francois."

"Father Francois!" says Carol.

"I also happen to be a priest", says Francois.

"Oh, I daresay", says Carol.



No comments:

Post a Comment