Monday 14 March 2022

The Peacock 455

 Carl rushes over to Carol, while I remain standing stupidly and timidly at the doorway.  He sits next to her and drapes his arm around her shoulder while she continues weeping.  She is breaking into sobs, but then gains mastery, and becomes quiet, accepting Carl´s solace.  I find my voice.

"Carol, can I get you a glass of water, or coffee or something. "

 "Water", she says, almost pleading.

The rooms appear to rush through me, rather than me rushing through the rooms.  I pick a tall sturdy looking glass and the water is ice cold.  

"What's wrong?"  The voice belongs to Melissa.

"Carol's having a crisis."  Carl's sister follows me to the reception room.  She appears calmer, her head leaning on Carl's shoulder..

"Carol", says Melissa , " I am going to make apple pies this morning.  I would love to have help with the apples."  Gently, Carol withdraws from Carl´s arm,  reaches for the glass of water.

"I would love to", she says in a whisper.  She turns to Carl.  "Thank you. you are very kind", then to me she directs a weak smile, "Thank you Christopher." Then, like an obedient child, Carol follows Melissa out of the room.

"


No comments:

Post a Comment