Thursday 31 March 2022

The Peacock 472

 "It´s kind of hard to explain.  He came here in the mid sixties with his girlfriend.  They were kind of abducted or manipulated and were part of a really bizarre cult that was living here at the time.  He was from Spain.  If you ask them, I'm sure Jesús and Aaron will be glad to help you catch up.  They have been reading it to us the last couple of nights."

"And this guy's name was Cosme.  That is so odd."

"This whole place is odd", I say.

"It's haunted."

"Yes, I believe you are right."

"What's it been like for you, living here for ten years?"

"I really don't know where to begin."  He pauses to take a sip of coffee.  His hand seems to have a slight tremor.  "I would say that after a decade here, this place still doesn't feel like home.  I would like to get out of here.  If I knew where to go.  I'm not exactly young, as you can see."

"It's really beautiful here", I say, "I mean the house and the grounds."

"I guess I should feel privileged being here.  especially with the kindness of Carl and Melissa and all they have done to support us here and our community.  But all that seems to be up for change now.  Especially now that our leader is gone."

"There was quite the drama here the other day, when he left."

"Maureen told me all  about it  We're all upset."

"Do you miss him?"

"We are feeling the void he has left.  I can't say that any of us actually loved him.  But Doug did hold everything together..."

No comments:

Post a Comment