Saturday 5 March 2022

The Peacock 446

 "It still is no walk in the park", says Francois.   "Police, especially white police, are especially problematic.

"We saw that quite recently here", says Carl.  "Father Francois, how do you cope with this bullshit?"

"I remind myself that it is bullshit, and nothing but bullshit.  I also try to find humour, even if it means making fun of the officer for being a bombastic ass."

"To their face you do that?" says Sarah.

"I even got one of them to laugh with me."

"Pray tell", says Carol.

"It happened in Montreal about four years ago.  I was on vacation from seminary so I was visiting my family.  So this white pig in a uniform wants to check my ID.  He was rather pathetic looking, overweight, probably too many donuts, and maybe around fifty.  Well, I had just been to the local Tim Horton's, speaking of donuts, and I was carrying a whole box of them with me.  So, I asked him if he could please hold my donuts for me while I searched for my wallet, and strangely, he complied.  So, with my biggest, brightest, shit-eatingest smile, I produced my ID, and after he had scanned everything, I offered him not just one donut, but as many donuts as he wanted.  Turns out that the chocolate are his favourites.  Then I said to him that, you know, officer, you have just accepted a bribe.  And with half a donut already sitting inside his mouth, he just burst out laughing.  I never got bothered again."

"An ordained, Roman Catholic priest", says Carol.  "Using that kind of language.."


No comments:

Post a Comment