Friday 4 March 2022

The Peacock 445

"George raises a very significant point", says Aaron.

"I consider myself very fortunate", says Francois, "That slavery has never tainted my family or my ancestors."

"I would imagine", say I, "that this makes your experience quite difference from  American or Caribbean blacks."

"Oh, decidedly different", says Francois.

"You know", says Carl, "For that very same reason, I felt a little bit let down when Obama was elected president of the US."

"But wasn't he an American black?" says Carol.

"His father was a Kenyan goatherd", says Carl.  "And his mother is a white American "

"Shouldn't that be adequate?" Carol says.

Jenn says, "Not entirely.  I see Aaron's point.  Barack Obama doesn't have slavery in his genes.  So, any empathy he could express would have a certain limit."

"Plus", Says Jeffery, "He isn't even pure African, having a white mother."

"Optics", says Aaron.

"On top of everything else", says Sarah, asking rather, "He simply looks black enough to pass, and that should be good enough for everybody?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment