Monday 7 March 2022

The Peacock 448

 "Thing is", says Melissa, "We're still not used to having so many poeple around.  We were pretty sequestered here for a few years, just doing the odd little group retreat, or taking in the occasional lost soul, but nothing this intense.  We're both still not used to it."

"What are your plans, for the house I mean.  Long term."

"That depends very much on our mother."

"I guess you and Carl are the caretakers here."

"That's pretty much it." With her hand Melissa sweeps her long hair out of her face, like a gesture of annoyance.

"What about you, Melissa?"

"what about me?"

"I don't know.  Where can you see yourself in ten years."

"I really don't know.  I'll probably still be here,  but it's hard to say."

"Do you have any work, or vocation of your own?"

"Artistic design.  Also web design.  I'm juggling a few contracts right now.  It keeps me in pocket money, anyway, but, I have enough going so that I would probably still do okay on my own, if you know what I mean."

"How about Carl?"

"He's got his online magazine.  And he freelances.  He'll be okay.  Hey, Chris?"

Even though I prefer Christopher, I am not going to correct her.  I think Melissa, and maybe Carl, as well, may alone have that privilege. 

"Tell me something.  Why don't you stay here and live with us.  Full time..."

"

No comments:

Post a Comment