Tuesday 1 March 2022

The Peacock 442

 "Francois", says Carol, between mouthfuls of fruit, "Have you ever been back to Africa?"

"I have never been in Africa", he replies calmly, pausing for a sip of coffee.  He appears to be finished with his breakfast, and has left a small chunk of pannekoek on his plate.

"But you are African"

"I am Canadian", he says.  "More precisely I am French-Canadian.  I am Quebecois."

"But you speak with an accent."

"And so do you."

"I do not speak with an accent.  I happen to be English."

"And you speak English with an English accent."

"There is no such thing.  In Canada, English is spoken with an accent."

Carl, struggling to smile", says, "Oh, Carol, just get over yourself will you?"

As though unaware that she has just been insulted, Carol says," This has to be one of the most wonderful pancakes I have ever eaten.  Lovely work, Jennifer." And she fills her face with rather a large helping of the remaining half of pannekoek languishing on her plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment