Sunday 6 March 2022

The Peacock 447

 Everyone, except Carol, is laughing.  and now, breakfast is clearly winding down.  We all collaboratively start clearing the table, and proceed with the washing up.  Those who spent prep time sitting around to chat while watching us all get breakfast ready in the kitchen have without complaining been volunteered to wash dishes and set everything in order.  Melissa is hovering around, trying to stay busy.  I have not yet seen her relax or sit still.  But then, seeing me alone at the table still nursing my coffee, she says, "Want company?"

She pulls over her cup of coffee, still apparently warm.  After a sip, she says, "No room in the kitchen, not with everyone else trying to look busy."

"How do you like Jenn's take on pannekoek?"

"Brilliant interpretation."  She sips her coffee, which appears black and bitter.  "What are your plans today?"

"Hard to say.  I imagine I'll hang out with your brother and other folk here."

"You like Carl."

"Enormously."

"He's in love with you."

"Think so?"

"Be very careful with him, Chris.  He is fragile.  Be kind.  please."

"Thanks.  I will..."

No comments:

Post a Comment