Wednesday 30 March 2022

The Peacock 471



Glen and I are left alone at the table.  This feels for me awkward, not because I don't like him, but because I really seem to like him.  He appears shy and self contained.  He also spares me the effort of having to come up with a conversation starter.

"How are you enjoying this place, Christopher?"

"I only wish I knew how to answer that."

"Did you only just arrive?  Wait, I think I have seen you in the garden the last couple of days."

"I think for me it's been around five days.  You know, I had amnesia when I arrived here."

"That happened to me, more than ten years ago."

""Did you also forget your name?"

"Cosme?"

."That happened to me.  My first full day here.  Carl had to help me get on my Skype account so I could remember my real name."

"No one ever explained to me",says Glen, "About Cosme."

"He lived here during the sixties."

"How do you know?"

"It's all in the journal he left here.  Carl held onto it for years."

"Why didn't he tell me anything.  Didn't he read it?"

"It was all written in Spanish, so he couldn't read it.  But two of the other guests here, Jesús, who is Colombian, and Aaron, both speak Spanish, so they are together translating it for us..."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment