Tuesday 8 March 2022

The Peacock 449

 "Isn't that a bit...precipitous."

"I forget easily that we've just known each other what, five days?  And so much has happened already.  But you are right.  But I think you already know that whatever direction things go in, there will be here for you an open door  If that's what you want."

This is quite a new side to Melissa.  Gentle, appealing, almost needy?  But she is right.  This is only my fifth day here.  And how long really does it take for people to know each other?

"I also have my ex-brother-in-law coming to stay with me in July.  He will be doing his post graduate studies at UBC and I have agreed to let him stay with me."

"Couldn´t you sublet your apartment to him and stay here?"

"I think the idea is, we want to live together.  We haven't seen each other in ten years, not since my divorce from his sister, and we were close, and I think we both want to rekindle the friendship."

"How close", and now her face is taking on the flinty aspect to which I have already grown accustomed.

"Too close.  incestuous, I would say, or borderline."

"Borderline"

"We never actually...went to bed...but we were decidedly into each other."

"As you are now with my brother."

"Melissa, I have this vulnerability, with people.  Men and women.  They easily fall in love with me, and I kind of let them do it, and then we kind of end up..."

"Swimming in the same soup together?"  

No comments:

Post a Comment