Friday 9 December 2022

The Peacock 722

 "So, perhaps on the strength of his looks, he could still be accepted as a de facto Swede."

"De facto.perhaps, but there's a certain sense of Swedishness that you only get if your family has been here for a few hundred years."

"What about the Sami."

"What about them?"

"Weren't they already there thousands of years before Indo European tribes swept into Scandinavia just four thousand years ago, or so?"

"There were several waves of settlement, yes, but it's very complex and I'm afraid I don't know my own history as well as I ought.  What are you doing today, since it is just morning where you are?"

"I'm just heading downstairs for breakfast, then the community health nurse is coming to give us our covid vaccinations.  It turns out that she might be related to the owners of this house, so it could get interesting."

"Listen, I'm due to go out for drinks and dinner with some friends from school.  They're going to see me off.  Can we talk Monday?"

"Don't see why not."

"I really wish I were with you right now Christopher.  I wish I could tell you how much I really miss you.  But yes, I think I'm going to stay with you in your big house."

"What time Monday do you want to talk?"

"Same as today good for you?"

"Perfect."

"Bye"

See you Monday, Eric.  Give my best to Greta.  That's all I can say right now."

"I understand.  See you."

No comments:

Post a Comment