Tuesday 27 December 2022

The Peacock 740

 "Okay everyone", says Melissa, "The nurse should be here any minute now.  Here, everyone put on a mask."  And she hands a bunch of hospital masks in cellophane packaging that we all start passing around. I have decided that I like Amanda, who appears both maternal and sure of herself.  She has rather a resonant kind of speaking voice that at once reassures and comforts.  I wonder how so positive a mother could have raised such an infantile loser as Tristan, but things like that do happen in life. 

"Amanda", says Carl, "We're all heading to the diner for lunch when we're done here.  Why don't you join us.  It's our treat."

"Well, I was going to the shop after to see what kind of support my staff will be needing today.  They did have some trouble with some particularly nasty customers that refuse to wear a mask.  But, I'll give them a phone call, and see how they're doing, and if it's okay, then sure, I can go for lunch with everyone then go into the shop after."

"What kind of shop do you own", says Sarah.

"Women's apparel", interjects Carrie, as though trying to cover for her.

"It's okay Carrie.  They can know.  It's a special kind of lingerie shop, and we especially cater to women of size."

"How interesting", says Carol."

"Come and visit sometime.

"I just might..."

No comments:

Post a Comment