Monday 19 December 2022

The Peacock 732

 Maureen, Sarah and Jennifer are all seated together on the sofa, and are going on giggling together like three fourteen year old girls on the back seat of the bus.  Others seem a little more staid and reticent than usual.  Carol and Sheila are seated side by side and conferring together in near whispers.  Adam and Lazarus are seated side by side on the love seat, staring blankly into space.  Glen has parked himself beside me and has just asked me about how I slept.

"Not too bad, considering.  And I was on Skype this morning with my Swedish friend."

"Is he in Sweden?" Glen asks.

"Yes, but he's coming out here in a few days", and suddenly I remember that I have already invited Eric to come stay here.  Without getting permission, and now I do not know how I am going to redeem my way out of this faux pas.  Michael and Matthew are on opposite sides, Michael is next to George and Matthew is next to Jeffrey, as though they are engaged in some kind of illicit spouse swap.  Carl is seated to my right, so I'd might as well confess.  "Carl.  I was on Skype with Eric this morning, my ex-brother-in-law.  He is flying out here this Tuesday and I invited him to stay here with us in the house.  I'm sorry, I know I should have asked first...

"No problem, Chris, I am glad he's coming.  There's plenty of room."

"Seriously?"

Yes, seriously.  In fact, we could drive out to the airport to pick him up."

"But, won't you have to make an extra trip the next day, I mean to get your mother and friends?"

We'll take the van.  Hey, here's a brilliant idea.  Why don't you and I go to Vancouver tomorrow or Monday.  We'll stay a night or two in your apartment, pick, up your friend, then stay overnight again at your place and then go and get Mom and her friends.."

No comments:

Post a Comment