Saturday 10 June 2023

The Peacock 904

 As we go down the stairs to the basement, already there is a growing bad smell.  I don't like this.  At all. And I am very glad I have my two friends here with me right now.  The door to the rec room is wide open, and it is from there that the odor seems to be coming.  It is a mess.  There are two sleeping bags strewn on the couch and on a mattress, and papers, wrappers and food scraps.  The stench appears to be coming from the bathroom, and small wonder.  the toilet is filthy, and unflushed feces linger in the bowl like a curse that cannot be lifted.

"Holy shit!" says Carl under his breath.

"I suppose you could call it that", replies Francois.

Say I, "We are going to search every corner of this basement."  The room where we have a second kitchen and dining area is also open, and it is not exactly filthy, but quite disordered.  There are dirty dishes in the sink and on the counter, and food stains everywhere.

Upstairs again, we are all seated at the kitchen table, our one place of refuge.  In front of us, a  folded white piece of paper that François took from the table downstairs.

"Can you guys help me clean up that cess pit tomorrow?"

"There is no need to ask", says Francois.

"Ditto", says Carl.

No comments:

Post a Comment