Monday 26 June 2023

The Peacock 920

 Francois comes in with his mug.

"I'm just brewing another  pot if you want a refill", says Carl.

"What's for breakfast?" says Francois.

"French toast", say I.

"Anything I can do?".

"Sit here at the table with us till the coffee's made", say I, "Then you guys can fight over who gets to finish making breakfast."

"did you run out of gas?"

"Something like that.  I'm remembering my father.  He died in this chair where I'm sitting."

"I am so sorry", he says, sitting down between Carl and me.

"It's okay.  I should have known this was coming."

"Is there anything we can do?" says Francois.

"You're both doing it right now.  I am really glad that you are both here with me", and now I hear the coffee maker beginning its final gurgle, like a death rattle...

No comments:

Post a Comment