Thursday 1 June 2023

The Peacock 896

 The house is smaller than I remember it.  But a week of living in a sixty room mansion is going to alter one's sense of dimension and space.  We have just pulled into the driveway and now we re bundling our groceries inside the house.  The place smells as though it has been recently cleaned, but there is something other in the air, and suddenly, brushing against my ankles I see the likely source.  A beautiful long haired cat, entirely blackish brown with penetrating yellow eyes now wants to be my best friend forever.  I leave the jar of peanut butter on the counter and pick her up for a cuddle.  She is wearing a collar with a round name tag.

"Her name's Sheeba", say I, and Carl, followed by Francois come over to introduce themselves, each in turn caressing her head as she purrs contentedly in my arms.  "How's that for a welcoming committee."

"So we're going to keep her", says Francois.

"looks that way", I concur.  Then to Carl, "As soon as the food is put away I'll give everyone a tour.  not really much to see."

"This is an incredibly cute huse", Carl retorts.  "Let's rock and roll!"

No comments:

Post a Comment