Friday 30 June 2023

The Peacock 924

Francois and Carl have joined us in the living room, the three of us all sharing the couch, rather like exemplary schoolboys sitting for a class photo, with the two visiting clergy in opposing armchairs.  I am in the middle with Francois on my left and Carl on my right.  We are almost ready to go in for breakfast.

"So", says the deacon, "You say you've known each other only a week and already are preparing to live together.  How unusual."

"We've been in each other's presence almost twenty four seven for the past week", says Carl.  "We seem to be doing rather well, all told."

"Where did you all happen to meet", says the priest, and she fixes on me her large inquiring blue gray eyes.  This is someone who misses nothing and never rests until she has successfully probed all the secrets of the universe.

"In my family home in the Fraser Valley." says Carl, who appears poised to reveal only exactly what is asked of him, nothing more, and likely quite a bit less.

"But how did you happen to meet there", says Karen Wilson.  "Under what sorts of auspices."

"I was there on retreat", say I

"So then it's a retreat centre", she says.

"In a manner of speaking", says Carl.

"Shall we go in for breakfast", says Francois, matter of factly...

No comments:

Post a Comment