Wednesday 8 June 2022

The Peacock 540

 Anyway, I was running short on funds so that Theresa, the owner, hired me to manage the place, which ended up consuming my life there.  It was a really interesting place, in downtown Melbourne.  It was many different places in one.  It was a travellers hostel, but also with private rooms and baths that seemed very boutique, and then humbler rooms and dorms with shared baths.  There were communal lounges, a coffee shop and a rather nice restaurant on the roof.  Some rooms, in one section, were even reserved for taking in the local homeless. Apparently Theresa had struck a deal with the local government that for a subsidy and a stipend she could easily shelter up to ten local homeless.  One of them became a long term tenant, and she also worked there as chamber maid.  

I would like to tell you a bit about Angela, if I may, particularly given what a pivotal influence she has had on the direction that my life has since been going. in.  I first met her when, between cleaning gigs, she came to sit with me in reception.  I was feeling a bit shy and withdrawn in those days, since I was still coping with the grief of losing Priscilla and the emotional fallout from the court battles with her twin mouth breathers.   Anyway, Theresa had not yet told me about Angela, or at least she had not given me her name, but did mention that there was there a chambermaid who also lived in the hotel and I should be particularly kind to her.  As I came to know Angela, I came to know why Theresa would tell me that...

No comments:

Post a Comment