Tuesday 21 June 2022

The Peacock 553

 "I would like to say something", says Sarah, putting down her menu in front of her in a very decisive manner.  "Because Tristan assaulted Father Francois, I am very uncomfortable about him being in the house with us."

Francois and Tristan are seated, as though intentionally, at opposite ends of the extended table.  Only now do I notice that there is a distinct redness underneath Tristan's right eye, where Francois presumable punched him,  There is also a red mark over Francois´ left eye, but nothing too severe looking.

"He punched me", mutters Tristan.

"In self-defense", says Sarah.

"Um, Tristan", says Jenn in a low maternal voice, "Sarah and I heard the altercation between you.  And we heard all the words that you both said.  We heard Francois tell you to not hit him, after you had also spoken a racial slur to him, and then we heard you fall on the floor when he defended himself.

"So, what do you want me to do", he says.  "I left didn't I?"

"You couldn't apologize?" says Sarah.

Tristan resumes his focus on the menu, saying not a word.

"Tristan", says Francois, carefully.  "I know I hit you.  It was in self-defense, but I still injured you, and for this, please accept my apology.  Can you forgive me?"

Tristan does not look up at Francois, his eyes remain fastened to the menu.  This is going to be a very long luncheon...


No comments:

Post a Comment