Saturday 25 June 2022

The Peacock 557

 "You must be pretty full by now", says Sarah.

"Well, you have seen many times over how I can put away food.  I'm on a seafood diet, you know", says George.  "I see food, and I eat it."

"I'm amazed that you never gain weight, and I have been watching you eat for the last three years", says Sarah.

"Because you are such a lovely cook, my dear."

"Flattery will get you anywhere...almost."  And now they are both laughing, Sarah and George.  They seem particularly warm with each other, like comfortable old friends.  

"So, you were telling us about the two priests you guys knew when your were altar boys.  Did they have anything to do with you're getting into seminary?"

"You can give the credit to both our parents", says Jeffery.  "When they found out, that is."

"When they found out what?" says Carl.

"Please", says George.  "For privileged ears only."

"Do you forget under whose roof you happen to be living?" says Carl with mock indignation.

"Oh, so now she's going to charge us rent, Hazel", says George very campily to his partner.  "Well, I never...!"

"Hazel?" dice Sarah.

"Because she's such a nutty old lady", says George.

No comments:

Post a Comment