Thursday 16 June 2022

The Peacock 548

 "Speaking of mothers, Carl", says Sarah, "I understand your mom is coming for a visit"

"Next week", he says rolling his eyes.

"You must be looking forward to seeing her."

Melissa says, "Carl is terrified of mother."

"No I am not", he says.

"Yes you are, even just after she said she's coming you went and got drunk."

"That was not the reason."

"Oh yes it was", says Melissa, in the kind of sing song knowitall little girl kind of intonation that must truly have driven her brother crazy when they were kids.

"Or maybe you're just afraid that she is coming to try to set things in order", says Jennifer.

"That too", says Carl.  "And that three, and that four, and that five, six, seven, eight.."

"She says she wants to stay here this time", says Melissa.

"And just for saying that, my dear little sister", says Carl, "Today, I an getting drunk again, and you are all coming with me to the diner to partake of my little spectacle..."

No comments:

Post a Comment