Tuesday 14 June 2022

The Peacock 546

 One Sunday, Angela invited me to her church.  there was no excuse because Theresa and a part time worker had come in to give us Sundays off.  I figured out afterward that Angela had plotted this.  But it's all good. It was a little mission church in the really poor neighbourhood.  And there, I encountered Jesus.  It was that simple.  It was a very simple, informal kind of service, with hymns, a guy with a guitar, and around fifty people or so, all smiling, and friendly, and gentle and welcoming.  Oh, and an awful lot of them were aboriginals.  There was an altar call.  I went forward, knelt down, and weeping, I gave my heart and soul to Jesus.  I had never really prepared for this, but knew it was time, and that I was being called, and that's all that mattered. in fact, ever since that day, that is all that has mattered to me.  Six months later, I came home, got a job at the library downtown, where I met and became friends with Maureen and Jenn, and the rest, shall we say, is history."

"What was the high point of the service for you", say I.

"Everything.  But it was especially the minister, who was the guy with the guitar, and his message, a message of absolute and unconditional love, and that Jesus is still with us to walk with us through every valley, every difficulty, every trouble, and that he bears and shares everything with us"  And with his leading we sang this lovely little song:

"We'll walk hand in hand,

through this pilgrim land,

here we linger for a day,

but soon we'll leave this land of night

for that land so bright where my friend and I will stay."


And of course, that friend is Jesus..

No comments:

Post a Comment