Tuesday 15 November 2022

The Peacock700

 Carl has also produced a big green bottle of San Pellegrino mineral water and three glasses.  I am just gathering my thoughts.  This is not easy to remember, but I think I have a fairly decent recall of what happened.  It was a long time ago, almost three decades.

"I'm not sure how trustworthy my memory is going to be.  It was a long time ago.  But we were closing.  It was eight in the evening, and I saw him seated at a table near the door.  My coworker, Janice, had already left, and except for Lindstrom, if it was Lindstrom, I was alone.  I was just putting on my coat, and he was still there, seated quite comfortably, and staring into space.  I told him we're closed now.  He didn't appear to notice me.  Sir, I said, standing over him, the café is closed.  I'm locking up and going home, and you can't stay here.  Then, he replied, I shall walk with you.  Preferring to avoid conflict,  I opened the door, and waited as Lindstrom got up to join me.  I locked the door, then he motioned to his left and said, This way.  I said, no, I am going this way, and just as I tried to walk away, I felt his very strong hand grip my shoulder.  I tried, but could not pull away from him.  I was paralyzed.  He stood and stared at me intently, still holding me by the shoulder.  I could neither move nor speak.  He kept staring as though peering right into my deepest soul.  It was then that I heard someone shout, Chris!.  It  was Kenny.  Then he told Lindstrom to let me go.  He didn't budge, so Kenny launched into his Harriet voice, hey big handsome Nordic studly, don't damage my little brother or you get nothing tonight.  Lindstrom lifted his hand from my shoulder, then walked away, and Kenny stood there waiting until he was out of sight...

No comments:

Post a Comment