Sunday 15 January 2023

The Peacock 759

"Hi again", says Aaron suddenly materializing in his chair.

"Stay in one place already!" says Carl in mock frustration.

"I haven't budged from my desk since I sat down to my laptop", he says. "What more do you want?"

"An explanation, please", says Amanda, appearing rather frightened and nervous.

"Well, I'm writing you."

"Carl already said that", she says. "What does this all mean.  Do we owe our existence to you or what?"

"Not in the least.  I'm simply eavesdropping.  I believe that others call this creative writing or imagination.  However, there is nothing going on here that I have either created or imagined.  With respect to Carl and his noble profession, I am really kind of like a journalist."

"So, you mean to say", says Jennifer, "That you're not making any of this up."

"Not any more than you are making me up.  Otherwise, I can't really explain it because, apart from being  fly on the wall, I really don't know what the hell is going on, nor what's going to happen next.  Well, I have an idea of what's going to happen next, but once I start writing it down, it all takes on a life of its own and before I know it I feel that I am simply recording what is already being said and done among you.  Speaking of which", he says, turning to me.  "Christopher, up till now you have been my protagonist, so it is your head I end up getting inside.  Are you okay with this?"

"Can't say I really have much say in the matter.  But if this is working for you, please continue.  I just hope you don't find me too dull a protagonist."

"Anything but, my boy, anything but.  Well, I have to be on Skype in less than ten minutes with my friend in Mexico, so I hope you don't mind if I bow out."

"You're not staying for lunch?" says Carl, but it's too late.  Aaron has disappeared again.

No comments:

Post a Comment