Tuesday 17 January 2023

The Peacock 761

 "What I find interesting is that only now I remember what happened.  I swear, I forgot this completely, and now the image is in my mind, clear as your faces here in the diner."

"The last couple of nights we have been reading the journals of Chris' friend, who also wrote about this guy, or someone like him."  I find it interesting how Carl seems to accept as already given that he is going to speak on my behalf.  But hasn't this been the story of my life.  Apparently I m simply not assertive.  Evryone just asumes that they ought to speak for me.  Annoying.  But whose fault?  The food is extraordinary, and incredibly tasty.  Everything cooked just right.  Lots of tofu in traditional meat dishes, but this is good and no one notices the absence of meat.  Tommy has just sat down at the end of the table, next to Amanda.  I am surprised how quiet the others are, even Michael and Matthew, both, who tend to be very chatty.  They appear sequestered in their own little commune at the other end with Adam and Lazarus.

"That is really interesting", says Jennifer.

"We think this guy was really mentally ill", I say, finally jumping up to be heard  "This guy seemed obsessed with my friend, Kenny, was stalking him, then ended up for a while in a mental hospital."

"That was the same one who committed suicide", says Michael suddenly from his end of the table.  "Sorry, don't mean to sound tactless."

"That's okay", say I

"How sad", says Sarah.  "I'm really sorry that happened."

"We still don't know how he really died", say I.  "Why don't you come up to my room and join us tonight after dinner, because we are probably going to read some more.

"Or we could share it downstairs after dinner", says Carl.  It might be a bit crowded up there with four."

"True", say I.

No comments:

Post a Comment