Tuesday 31 January 2023

The Peacock 775

 "She is niney-three", says Jennifer.  "Still independent and lives in a little subsidized apartment in East Vancouver.  Nana helped raise me, since mom had to work a lot, she was a cook in a Greek restaurant."

"Your mom is Greek?" asks Amanda.

"No.  My stepfather is Greek.  Mom remarried after my dad divorced her for another woman.  I was just three at the time.  They had a family restaurant on West Broadway where Mom learned the trade.  They said she was the best cook they ever had.  It was a very trendy place in the late seventies, and Mom had to work hard, all hours.  Nana, she was a college professor of anthropology, took early retirement, but kept going back for short teaching gigs, but this way she had plenty of time to be with me, since she didn't want to see me farmed off to a day care, way too expensive, and Mom couldn't always have me with her in the restaurant, though sometimes I was there playing and trying to help in the kitchen.

"My Nana is English, very English in some ways, hence her love for toffees and allsorts, but she was and still is quite a radical peace activist.  I used to march with her in the Walk For Peace every year during the eighties.  Oh, and she is also a Quaker...

No comments:

Post a Comment