Tuesday 24 January 2023

The Peacock 768

 "Right away, Amanda", says Carl, "And please be assured that no one here has any kind of agenda with you."

"And even if you do have an agenda, I would still feel flattered.  I mean to say, that I think you people are authentic, and if it wasn't for some of my current circumstances..."

"I wouldn't worry about that", says Jennifer.  "Each thing in its season.  but we re glad to meet you and have you with us, and I hope you will make this a habit."

"Thanks.  I will need time to digest, this has all been pretty sudden and intense.  And, of course, there's my son.  But Carl, please continue about your fascinating grandmother."

"Mom and Adriana ended up in Switzerland.  She sold the cabaret, feeling that it was no longer consistent with her new life in Christ, and she took Mom to Switzerland to a Christian community for privileged white intellectuals, called L'Abri."

"That's the first time I've heard that kind of take on L'Abri", says Jennifer.

"I suppose I'm being a bit ungenerous  But I stayed with them a few times and they simply do not square with the Jesus who lived among and identified with the poor that I want to identify with, despite me being a rich boy."

"You were there?" she says.

"Lovely people.  But absolutely no access for the less fortunate.  A Christian ghetto of privilege, but nonetheless, still lovely and welcoming people..."


No comments:

Post a Comment