Thursday 2 February 2023

The Peacock 777

 "I don´t know", say I, "With the taste of Chinese food still in my mouth this apple pie tastes a little bit off."

"You should have it with ice cream.  You've just taken one bite, so it ain't too late.  Hey, Tommy?"  Tommy approaches the table with a diffident waiter's air.  "Could you scoop some vanilla ice cream onto Christopher's pie, please?" 

"Chris", says Tommy.  And I actually don't mind that he is also calling me Chris, and not Christopher.  It could be that he reminds me in so many ways of Carl, who alone has that privilege.  But I guess I could also get over myself and extend to Tommy the privilege.  As if it should even matter.  "Want some ice cream on your pie?"

"Sure, okay."

"One scoop?  Two?"

"Give him three", says Sarah, laughing.

"Three scoops coming right up", he says, whisking away my pie.

"Seriously, Jenn", says Sarah, "You are a gifted peacemaker.  Tell us how you handled things with leaving the Lutherans..."


No comments:

Post a Comment