Tuesday 28 February 2023

The Peacock 803

 He led me up to the third floor, which was the garret.  We went down one corridor, then another.  I mentioned that place is huge and sprawling.  He opened a door for me and led me in.  It was a medium size, simple bedroom, with a single bed covered in a white counterpane, a desk and chair and a comfy chair in a corner,  I was suddenly so tired as to be quite overcome with sleep.  The boy helped me sit on the bed, then helped me undress to my shorts,  He pulled back the covers and helped me settle, then tucked me in.  As he went to the door he said that I would have difficulty waking, since I am very tired, but that he would come for me at the time of my waking.  I asked him to tell me his name.  He replied, "I am the Name."  I asked him again, and he replied again, "I am the Name." Then I fell into a deep, long and dreamless sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment