Wednesday 1 February 2023

The Peacock 776

 "Does she still go to meetings?" says Carl.

"Religiously", says Jenn, laughing.  "When we were still in Vancouver I used to attend with her on occasion.  Really lovely, dedicated people, and an hour of silence together is something unimaginably lovely."

"But aren't you a Lutheran?" says Carl.

"Lapsed Lutheran.  Got sick of the politics.  And I didn't get on at all with the new pastor.  Oh, she had all the right credentials, being a woman of colour, and a woman, and also an out lesbian in a same sex marriage, but she was otherwise a trainwreck. plus, she would only give the time of day to anyone who would address her as Pastor Annie, like she was a member of a high and exalted caste.  So, instead of sticking around to argue, I just left."

"You really hate conflict", says Sarah.

"Always have.  There are so many good and healthy ways for coming to resolution or reconciliation, but it's something that not many of us are much good at.  Including me."

"Oh, I don't now about that", says Sarah.  "I've always found you an inspiration, for being calm and diplomatic.  Qualities that I simply do not have?"

"Oh, cut it out, Sarah.  I'm just a chicken.  And, hey, this pie is good...


"

No comments:

Post a Comment