Tuesday 7 February 2023

The Peacock 782

 As Jennifer composes herself, Amanda places a consoling hand on her back, two mothers suffering together over their children.  This has all been so engrossing that my piece of apple pie is now partly flooded by the melting vanilla ice cream of three very generous scoops.  Carrie comes around with the coffee pot.  "How is everything?" she says, glancing at Jennifer.

"I'm alright.  Thanks", says Jennifer, wiping her cheek with the back of her hand.  Amanda removes her hand from her back.

"You won't believe", says Amanda to Jenn, "How happy I feel for you."  Yes, two mothers experiencing together what only two mothers can share.

"There's more to the story", says Jennifer.  "I heard from John that just two weeks after dismissing his secretary, that Elias died from a cerebral embolism.  His will is being probated, but it looks like I will still be getting money from his estate, as this arrangement was in writing as en perpetuity.  John has invited me to come see him in England.  I am thinking of the end of August..."

No comments:

Post a Comment