Saturday 18 February 2023

The Peacock 793

 "Your full name is Jason Egerton and you played the leading role in Romeo and Juliet in Vancouver twenty-three years ago."

"Busted", he says, smiling directly at me.

"Wait a minute", says Matthew, annoyed and perplexed, "wait a minute, Adam, because I still know you as Adam.  What do you mean you don't know how you got the faberge eggs.  I made a small fortune off their sale, and now I could be in really big trouble if they are contraband. 

"I was not making up the part about finding them on the beach next to me when I woke up."

"But the question is", says Michael, clearly wanting to support his ex, "How did you end up on that beach."

"I still don't know the answer to that.  I had been on a week long bender with a bunch of other actors in Victoria, and then I must have blacked out.  The fact of the matter is that I lost two weeks.  I have not the faintest idea where I was, except for this recurring dream I kept having about being trapped in a mansion in the wilderness, rather similar to this one, and strange people.  This very old couple, both of them tall, who seemed to have some sense of custodianship over me.  But otherwise, I do not remember.  And I did start to believe that I was thousands of years old and had lived and been in  many diverse periods of world history.  But then it became a kind of game.  I became too ill to work, plus being in the Community of the Transfiguration left me no time to practice my  acting.  But I'm an actor.  I thrive on attention, so I still tried to make a game of it..."

No comments:

Post a Comment