Friday 7 July 2023

The Peacock 931

 The cleaners, three young men of Filipino provenance, have arrived and have donned hazmat suits and masks, and have already begun to work on the disgraceful mess downstairs.    We are back on the deck, and the visit continues its tone of strain and discomfort.  not even a third cup of coffee is enough to get anyone off their guard, particularly Carl, as he surreptitiously eyes with suspicion our visitors, especially the deacon.

"By the way, Karen", say I, "I have begun reading your book.  It looks like you have a fascinating story,."

"Thank you", she says.  "In fact, if you would like, I would be very happy to read some of it with you, here if you would be comfortable."

"Yes, I would be honoured", and I see both François and Carl vigorously nodding.  The rest of the visit is taken up by inconsequential chatter, such as Anglicans tend to be tiresomely good at, and both Carl and Francois appear to be getting bored and fidgety.  I am aware now that if Carl has a problem with anyone, it is only with Drew, the deacon.  He appears warm and convivial with Karen, and she seems to invite this.

As we are seeing them to the front door, Carl suddenly says to Deacon Drew, "Well, it is nice to see you again, Robert, after all these years, twenty, I think.  I am glad to see you are doing well in your holy vocation.  I am sure this is more gratifying to you than working in a bank..."

"I beg your pardon?" he says, but Carl tersely replies,

"Oh, but it is not I who needs to be pardoned, Robert.  lovely to see you again, and yes, Karen, if you would like to make time to come over sometime in the week to read with us, please consider yourself welcome.  Ta-ta, Robert", he says as he quickly closes the door...

No comments:

Post a Comment