Saturday 8 July 2023

The Peacock 932

 I am indignant and embarrassed on behalf of our guests, and I really have to control my tone of voice as I demand of Carl, "What was that all about!"

"Oh, but there is a story here, darling Christopher, and if you two gentlemen would be so kind as to sit with me right now in the living room, then let me explain to you a thing or two about one of our breakfast guests."

Francois and I are side by side on the couch and Carl directs on us from an armchair.  "Remember, Chris, when I told you about that..er..gentleman that picked up Melissa and I hitchhiking when my dad shot himself in the head twenty years ago or so."

"This is certainly news to me", says Francois looking very grave and perplexed

"Chris already knows the story.  Melissa and I had to get out because our father's body had vanished and we feared that we could be next, so we hitchhiked on the highway, and who should give us a ride but Deacon Drew Jenkins, whom we just had for breakfast, so to speak.

"And his name was Robert", say I.

"His first name is Andrew, so not exactly an alias..."


No comments:

Post a Comment