Thursday 13 July 2023

The Peacock 937

 They are not going to allow me to lift so much as a finger.  But it is rather pleasant watching them work while seated at the kitchen table, and I think I am almost resigned to the idea of my two friends, in a way, taking care of me  while we are together here.  But we are all needing care.  We are all three of us right now incredibly fragile, and this thin thread of new friendship is already indelibly binding us together.  But it could easily break, and so I am on my guard.

"What do you guys make of the Reverend", says Carl.

"Karen Wilson", I reply.  "It's hard to say".

"Enigmatic is a very mild word for her", says Francois.

"I can only imagine the conversation they must be having in the car right now", say I.

"Robert's black Mercedes.  I don't think I would want to be a fly on that windshield."  His phone is ringing and quickly he dries his hands to answer it.  "Hello?..Oh yes, hello...Fine thanks...Yes...I think we could, let me check with the others.  Just a minute please...That is my distant cousin Cynthia on the phone right now.  She wants to know if we would like to meet with her today.  What do you guys think...?

"At what time?" says Francois.

"At what time?" echos Carl on the phone.  "Two."

"Can she make it for three?" says Francois.

"Would three work?...Yep, she's good for three..."


No comments:

Post a Comment