Wednesday 26 July 2023

The Peacock 950

 The trees of the ravine are resplendent with the fresh, fiery green of May. A young woman has just passed us with her black lab dog but otherwise we are here alone.  I know what is happening.  Carl and I are becoming bonded.  Something undissolvable is now binding us both to each other.  I knew this was going to happen, and I suspect he has been working overtime to help mastermind the process.  It doesn't matter.  I only wonder how Eric is going to fit here when he arrives, because he seems to think to have a prior claim on me.  I don't know. And now we are three with Francois, who seems in his way just a little bit detached, and small wonder.  This has nothing to do with his race.  He simply wants order, movement and method in his life.  And he is so full of good common sense.  We both seem to be looking to him as an anchor.

"Francois, you mean?" wonders Carl and I am shocked to realize I have said this out loud.  "This is such a beautiful place here.  We have to return."

"I can teach you the route."

"It's nicer if you're here with me."  This has to be unmistakable love talk.  I'm not ready for this.  Carl is not ready for this.  I suppose he wants to hug me, but I really don't want to be touched right now, not even by Carl.

"Is Wreck beach nearby?" he asks.

"Maybe.  But don't expect me to show you how to get there..."

No comments:

Post a Comment