Saturday 29 July 2023

The Peacock 953

 

"What is the plan for after our meeting with Carl's cousin?" says François, as Carl slips into the kitchen to wash our dirty dishes.

"I think a neighbourhood walk would be appropriate, especially to help you guys get oriented.  We could also include a bit of the forest if you like.

"Suits me fine." He is reading something on his laptop screen and his face becomes rather sombre and dark.

"News?" say I, and Carl just now is coming back.  He retakes his chair, and I can see already that each appears to be laying claim to their seat in the living room: Francois will always have the couch to sprawl on, and I of course am glad to be back again in Dad's recliner chair.

"From the monastery", he says grimly.

"What, are you excommunicated?" says Carl.

"No, not yet anyway.  The abbot wants me to come in to answer some questions."

"About..." says Carl.

"That miserable Hutu bastard who came to me for confession.  Apparently he has filed a complaint that I threatened him and they want to hear my side of the story.  After that they'll excommunicate me."

"What are you going to do?" say I.

"First, let me ask you a question, Carl, if I may please."

"Fire away."

"If worse were to come to worse, could I count on you to help fund me for legal counsel."

"Of course."

"Thank you, Brother Carl."  And now he begins to type.  We both watch silently.  When Francois is finished he reads to us: "My dear abbot.  1.  I have left the monastery.  2.  I have left the priesthood.  and 3. I have left the Catholic Church.  Any further contact from any of you people I will treat as criminal harassment and will have you prosecuted to the full extent of the law and beyond.  Do not ever under any kind of circumstances contact me again!


Francois Bernard

No comments:

Post a Comment