Sunday 22 August 2021

260

 There are eggs to be broken, lots of them, and beaten, and folded into a gigantic skillet full of smouldering hot butter.  Carl is slicing the cheese and Melisa is preparing toast.

"So what did you guys get up to last night" she says, not turning to look at either of us.

Carl says, stifling laughter, "We spent the whole night fucking each other's brains out."

"Ha-ha!" says Melissa.  "I almost forgot to laugh.  What did you get up to?"

"Chris was reading to me from the diary of his friend, Kenny."

"Kenny?"

"He was a friend of my father's and I", say I.

"And of course there's a story there."

"There is" says Carl, reaching for another block of cheddar.

"So where did you sleep last night?" she asks her brother.

 "In one of the spare rooms in the guest wing in the attic."

"Why didn't you come to your own bedroom?"

"It was late, and we'd been up talking till midnight and I was too tired to budge, so I went to sleep there instead.  Why?  Is there a problem?"

No comments:

Post a Comment