Monday 23 August 2021

The Peacock 261

 "You are the guest master here", says Melissa.  "We are not supposed to get too close to the guests.  Remember the boundaries?"

"Fuck the boundaries.  And who says I'm the guest master, anyway?"

"Father Griffin."

"And what gives him the right?"

"He has pastoral authority over this place.  Right?"

"That is utter horseshit, Mel, and you know it as well as I do."

"But we already agreed.  When we drafted out the constitution.  Remember?"

"And I am revoking the constitution."

"On whose authority?"  She hasn't stopped buttering the toast.

"Whose name is the deed to this house in, Mel?" Carl is dropping cheese slices over the egg mixture.

"What are you talking about?"

"You seem to forget that Mom signed the house over to me last year.  So, in a way, this is my roof you are living under, and my word from now on is going to be law."

"After breakfast, we can both talk with Father Griffin about this.  He's coming in from Vancouver."

"What's the occasion?"

 "He is taking Douglas off our hands..."

No comments:

Post a Comment