Tuesday 31 August 2021

Latin America Again 3

 Today has also been rather interesting.  I went walking in a different direction, on Alonso's recommendation, and after an hour or so I found myself getting into a more prestigious neighbourhood with a big fancy schmancy malls.  Colombians love big fancy schmancy shopping malls.  Apparently its because the shopping mall is so American, and Colombians love America.

So, while walking around a bit, two ladies of a certain age approached to ask if I was okay.  Strange, but touching encounter, and I assured them that I am well, and just exploring the city on my second day in Medellín.  Very kind of them.  Then I was asking people for directions to the mall where Alonso and I went yesterday. A retired lady chimed in, and when I told her I was looking to buy an umbrella, this being rainy season, she took into this other big fancy schmancy shopping mall we were standing in front of, and gave me the full tour of the place, then brought me into a store that carried umbrellas, so I bought one, then I took her for coffee and we continued to chat for most of a good hour or so, all in Spanish.  She used to be a bookseller and now enjoys retirement in a big house in one of the richer neighbourhoods.  And she was constantly warning me to watch my back because of pick pockets and muggers and worse.

I understand and appreciate her concern, because this is a problem in Colombia.  But, even though I try to be vigilant, I don't worry about it.  I believe strongly that when we are motivated by selfless love, that that becomes our own protection, as I have already experienced many times over.  and my tendency, despite the risks is tosay hi to strangers, reach out, if someone is begging or selling something on the street, to help out as I am able, and to take tine with people.  Risky, perhaps, but no risk, no progress, along with the likelihood of remaining isolated and lonely..

But you know, these people here are Gold!!!!

Medellín is a very green city, lots of trees and flowering shrubs, even in rundown and dilapidated areas with cracked and broken pavement.

Now I am back home, swept the floor, had some lunch, worked on some projects,had a nap, worked some more on my projects did some art, had some dinner.  My friend is delayed at work.  I mentioned he is an Uber driver, and his clients sometimes treat him like a chauffer, so he is going to be a while yet.  And of course, when they want to stop in a restaurant or whatever, Alonso their driver is never invited but has to wait, which he doesn't seem to mind since it appears that some of them can really bore him to extinction.  But they could at least buy him coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment