Thursday 26 August 2021

The Peacock 264

 He suggests to me Charlton Heston playing Moses, but sort of Halloweén style.  He appears to be robed in a white bedsheet, and his scraggly longish and thinning grey hair makes him appear older than Aaron, not to mention the beard.   There is a long pole or stick resting next to him against the bench.  His head is bowed, as though in silent prayer or contemplation, or perhaps he is just having a snooze.  He suddenly looks up at me, eyes curious, but rather flinty and unyielding.

"Hi", I say, standing there rather awkwardly.  He doesn't answer.  "I'm sorry, am I disturbing you?"

The stare turns into a glare, and I am feeling truly menaced, as though the life and strength are slowly being sapped out of me and being pooled uselessly on the ground at my feet.

"I´m sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you", say I, walking away.

"What do you want?" he says suddenly, rather between a growl and a bark.

"I was hoping to see the peacock, to catch a glimpse."

This has just simply blurted out of me and now he stares fixedly at me, as though I have just uttered something very profane and very forbidden.

"I am sorry, I really didn't mean to disturb you", I say, now backing away.  I really want to get as far from this man s possible.

"Who are you?" he says, almost roaring.

"I'm just a guest here of Carl and Melissa.  Sorry to have bothered you.  Bye."

I have already arrived at the tulip beds and something tells me to turn around.  The Charlton Heston Moses appears to be following me back to the house.  I pick up my pace, hoping to lose him...

No comments:

Post a Comment