Friday 27 August 2021

The Peacock 265

 I have almost arrived at the house and Moses is still following me, carrying his long stick like it was a sacred staff. I am feeling truly spooked and creeped by this, but now rescue is in sight.  Here is Carl, standing by the front door on the top step,

"Good morning, Douglas" he says, "please join us for coffee in the small reception room.

I hear no answer from Moses, but he follows me in through the front door and Carl is leading us to the room.  It is early for morning coffee, not yet being nine.

"Good morning, Douglas", says Melissa standing in the reception hall.  "Wouldn't you like to dress in something more appropriate?"  

Douglas, for that appears to be his name, elbows past me, not even a word of excuse me, preceding me into the reception room.  He has been walking with a bit of a stoop, as though not wanting to see what's around him.

"Come and join us, Chris?" says Carl, lightly touching my shoulder.

"Shouldn't this be something private?" I ask, rather dreading and wanting to avoid what I sense to be coming.

"We might need witnesses.  Robert should also be here any minute."

"Father Griffin?"

"The same.  And he must also face the music..."

No comments:

Post a Comment